13 May 2011

ESC Semifinals

LetZzz comment ESC Semifinals!
No matter what happened with ESC (Eurovision Song Contest) in last 10 years, we can definitely that this year's ESC is getting the old charm of this one of a kind music happening. This year has less trashy songs than ever before, more young performers than ever before, the best stage and special effects any time on ESC... So, I can truly say that ESC is, slowly, but definitely re-branding! It was a happening that only "the elder" people watched, only in those countries where no big music happening take place, etc. This year, on a global level - different story.
Let's first say few words about Germany as an organizer. When Lena won last, I knew that 2011's ESC will be the best one organized ever! Germans are far known as a perfectionists and they've proven it. The stage looks amazing! It's simple, but still beautiful. The special effects are one of the best I've ever seen on this kind of events. And I must say that I love the fact that the old tradition with showing the next country's representative before the introduction plot is back!
Another thing is the approximate age of the contestants. I believe that the hard work of re-branding has it's results. Alexander two years ago, and Lena last year made huge difference in how ESC was seen. It is no longer "the old man show", which makes me happy.
Also, I would mention that the quality of the music presented is far better than the period 2002-2008. We can notice that the global music trends finally have impact on the music presented on ESC. We've noticed some good dance pop (or Swedish pop, as popular in our country), powerful ballads and all the styles in between. The difference between the styles is also noticeable, which makes the entire voting more interesting. I believe that the old- new rule of 50%-50% (audience - jury) has made it's impact on this aspect. Unfortunately, this is not the case for our country, which I'll probably write another blog for.
However, even before the final we can notice the "political influence in the voting". Probably this aspect will never go away! No matter how impartial Europeans can act, they are not! :D However, good song is a good song, no matter where you come from and no good songs for Macedonia in the last few years. :/
1st Semifinal
When I saw the stage for the first time, with all the effect I was impressed. Also I've noticed the horrible outfits the hosts were wearing. :P However, the first semi ended with shocking news when few really good participants didn't made it through the final. CommentZzz for the countries qualifying to the final follows:
01. Finland - Did anyone expected this to happen? I didn't! I especially hated the moment when they find out, and their performer didn't even seemed to be happy! WTH?
02. Lithuania - I was truly hoping that they will get in the final. The song sounds like it's part of some Disney's movie. Adorable performance!
03. Hungary - When I first heard it, I said "OK, it has nice rhythm. Now I find it ridiculous. Not sure why! :) Nice vocal though... Definitely not one of mine favs!
04. Greece - No commentZzz here! Fucking horrible!
05. Russia - I had a feeling I've already seen it all. However I think Alexej deserved to go to the final. The whole thing looked and sounded pretty well.
06. Switzerland - In my opinion one of the two biggest surprises that night. The girl wasn't even expecting it and she acted like crazy when she found out! :D I love ESC in those moments. We had them few... long time ago. :/
07. Azerbaijan - Not a surprise at all. The song sounds so modern, so 2011, and so american. :P I don't want them to win, but top 5 - definitely!
08. Iceland - The other big surprise! I think that Sjonni's death "helped" this thing to happen. However, no big expectations in the final.
09. Serbia - Totally expected. The Serbs are very organized for the ESC voting and final without them will be unimaginably. The song is pretty good, Nina sound great and the background effects just make the whole picture. Top 10 - for sure! :D
10. Georgia - LetZzz say I didn't expected it for sure, but I kinda knew! :P :D She sings as a monster... in a positive manner! :) However, I don't think that their music strain is compatible with ESC, so I'm not seeing them in the top... any top. :P
And now the negative surprises. When some entry get's to final as a surprise, other stay out of it. LetZzz comment just the ones I thought should get to the final and they didn't.
* Poland - I'm definitely sorry about Magdalena. The final is staying without the most beautiful women on this year's ESC. She sounded great, looked even better. I believe the performance in Polish was the problem. :/
* Albania - What a disappointment! Aurela did amazing job out there! I was 100% sure she is qualifying... Anyway I loved the way the national flag was incorporated in her dress! Inspirational! :)
* Norway - No "Haba Haba" in the final. :C I really liked her African song, she brought something new to the ESC. Unfortunately it didn't worked! :/
The rest, pretty much expected to stay out of the final. No hard feeling, but ESC always looks for different concepts than the ones for the MTV's shows. No matter how things are going, you can never predict ESC's results. :)
2nd Semifinal
The second semifinal was scary experience. I was secretly hoping that my country will qualify, until I heard them all. :D :P More competition than the first one, more of my favs present... :/ It was clear than Vlatko is going to the next round... in airlines - HOME! :/ The countries who qualified, with my shortest opinion possible.
01. Bosnia and Herzegovina - Expected? Totally! One of the favorites this year, totally charming, clean cut... I  enjoyed it! Good luck! Hope to see Dino in the final Top 5!
02. Denmark - Honestly, nothing special! No further commentZzz.
03. Ireland - You would all say weird and "GAY"! (Without discrimination! Just using the term!) I would say that we should learn from them. They had so much fun out there, which none of our representative ever did! No stress! Just jump on stage and enjoy doing it! :P
04. Sweden - Oh yeah, Justin Bieber arrived in Europe. He'll be popular... yeah right! :/
05. Estonia - I LOVE HER! My favorite for sure! She was also enjoying making few mistakes. :P However, in my opinion this is how a winning combination looks like! Young, fresh, POP! Maybe our composers should learn something, ha?
06. Moldova - Honestly, I was surprised! Even though, ESC knows them from their previous entry, this one is pretty crappy. Not my fav at all! :/
07. Romania - Also something I didn't expected! Nothing special... at all!
08. Austria - What a girl!!! She is so HOT! I love those legs! I love those eyes! I love that smile! :D Ah, yeah, I love the song, too! :P :)
09. Slovenia - Just amazing! Slovenia has their own Aguilera in every aspect. She sings like her and acts like her from time to time. The song - great! The performance - amazing! The look - Judge yourself... I loved it! :D
10. Ukraine - Even though Mika did pretty well, I didn't expected them to go to the final. I loved the "sand thing" (If anyone knows the term, please let me know).
And... what about the others?
* Belgium - I wanted them to qualify, simply because their performance was unique! Very modern and old-fashioned in the same time. :/
* Israel - Not that I wanted to see Dana in the final, but I expected it. Glad it didn't happened! :)
* Macedonia - Hmmm... I would only say that I'll write special blog on this subject. I hated the way Vlatko treated ESC and our country in it. He acted like he didn't care... and he should have. At the picture below, you can see his comment right after the results were known.
This picture is print-screen from Eurovision.tv (click and see it yourself).
Our worst entry, EVER!!! I liked Ljubcho's (Risima Risimkin's "favorite student) choreography, but it was theater one, not ESC. There is difference. On ESC you should do anything, even having an elephant on stage, to pass through. And with a song like that, even the best choreography couldn't help.
The big 5
If you've ever watched ESC before, you probably know that there is a term - "The big 5" standing for the 5 countries who are the founder members of EBU (European Broadcasting Union). The thing is that, because of this status they are directly qualified in the final of the ESC every year. My comments for their country's entries, which will be seen for the first time in time in the final, are:
* France - The biggest favorite for winning. I don't like that idea, mostly because of the style of the song. The vocal is amazing, but if France wins this year, years of hard work on getting the ESC closer to the younger European population will go in waste.
* Spain - Just ridiculous. Big expectations... for being last! :/
* Italy - I don't really have a concrete opinion. The only "weird" thing is that the song is in English. Why? Well, ask the Italians.
* United Kingdom - According to the betting odds, the second largest favorite. Blue are getting back, totally in their style. The song is made for ESC. The bad thing is that, beyond ESC, this song is worthless.
* Germany - Lena is back. Well, she haven't really left at all. :D Second year in a row, Germany's representative. I like the song, it's catchy and different than everything else this year. ESC viewers know her very well, she has a lot of charm, she is positive. Expectations are high.
I'm writing this before the final, so I have no idea what's really gonna happen'. I hope that France doesn't win, honestly. I hope Estonia wins! :) (It's my very personal opinion) I hope to have a great show... without "any russian girlZzz" in a crappy song! :P 
WhatZzz your opinion? What are your favoriteZzz? CommentZzz? :D

2 comments:

  1. Wooooow excellently written! I didn't watched evrything but I know that you are right about it :)) M

    ReplyDelete
  2. Te vas callando y no entiendo porque dices de españa ridiculo, ridiculo será tu país

    ReplyDelete